Monday, July 27, 2009

Frustration with a name

Before i continue further i think i should point this out
How many of you guys (and gals) out there knows my name's "proper" pronunciation ?
How many of you knows the correct spelling to my name?
How many of you answered Yes to both question?
and the final question... ...
How sure are you?
I've been working in "I" for more than 14 months now and through out this 14 months i have been mistaken as someone else, misunderstood and misinformed on and about a lot of stuff. How should i know there is another guy with the same name spelling as i am. Mine is already very odd, i can't believe there is another with the same spelling and we are in the same compony and same building.... but that was years ago but till today i will still get some off-track emails that should be for "him" instead of me...

Above all that, what i could not stand is that i've been answering to a name that is not even mine to begin with for 14 months. Sometimes i cant help but to wonder, what have i done to the nurse who wrote my name on my birth certificate? What sin have i done to her/him, that s/he have to make me suffer till my dying day? Or should i put the blame on my parents for not correcting it sooner?

Throughout my days, i've been told by my parents that my name is pronounced as Hoe (or Ho) then why is there an additional O in my name? I've been correcting people about my name all my life, and i've always introduced myself as Chee Hoe (or Ho, so don't make me start grumbling again about this shit) but what is it that everyone and i do seriously mean EVERYONE still get ot wrong here in Penang? I don't think i have this problem back in KL so why here in PG ?? WHY???

Most of the time, if not all of the time, i would prefer they to address me as CH or Leech or even Tiger as some EV-ians like to call, at least they get the name right but why not my name? It is getting very frustrating. How would you feel if the someone keeps calling some other name and you keep have to response to it? To some of you it may be okay but to me... my name is the thing i care the most next to family. It is a gift from my parents to me, so i'm going to honor and protect it with my life? May be this has been a reason why i've put 120% effort in all the things that bears my name or symbol. I've tried to ignore it but this has gone on for much, much too long. It has to end... and to end it shall.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This proves one thing. People actually remember how to spell your name, so that's why they are 'kinda' pronouncing it correctly. Cant blame them though :P.

-MG

Anonymous said...

If you didn't mention it, i also didn't realize ler. Hoe or Hoo huh?

btw, i call u ho hu? who? whole? hole?

Leech said...

Seriously MG, i rather have a "correct" pronounciation than a
"correct" spelling. We call each other more that we write each other's name, don't u agree.

I don't even borther who calls me what since a year ago, nobody seems to remember anyway... sigh... just that in this year i felt otherwise thus the tantrum

Anonymous said...

Question, the proper pronunciation should is "Chee Hoe" or "Jee Hoe"? As i know, not much Chinese words called "Chee" ler :p

~Crabby~